Spaces is a new way to have live audio conversations on Twitter.
The functionality provides additional value to your Spaces content, which can now be re-shared to spark more interest, while also facilitating broader re-target considerations.
How do you start a Space?
- The creator of a Space is the host. As a host on iOS, you can start a Space in two ways: Long press on the Tweet compose on your Home timeline and then tap the new Spaces icon (multiple circles forming a diamond shape) on the far left. Or, tap on your profile image at the top of your timeline.
- Spaces are public, so anyone can join as a listener, including people who don’t follow you. Listeners can be directly invited into a Space by D Ming them a link to the Space, Tweeting out a link, or sharing a link elsewhere.
- Up to 13 people (including the host and 2 co-hosts) can speak in a Space at any given time. When creating a new Space, you will see options to Name your Space and Start your Space.
- To schedule a Space, tap Schedule for later. Choose the date and time you’d like your Space to go live.
- Once the Space has started, the host can send requests to listeners to become co-hosts or speakers by tapping on the people icon and adding co-hosts or speakers, or tapping on a person’s profile picture within a Space and adding them as a co-host or speaker. Listeners can request permission to speak from the host by tapping on the Request icon below the microphone.
- When creating a Space, the host will join with their mic off and be the only speaker in the Space. When ready, tap Start your Space.
- Allow mic access (speaking ability) to speakers by toggling Allow mic access to on.
- As the host, your Space will automatically serve live captions.
- As a listener, choose whether or not you want to see captions by tapping the Show captions button in your Spaces settings.
- If you’re hosting, make sure to Tweet out the link to your Space so other people can join. Tap on the icon to Share via a Tweet.
Who can start a Space?
People on Twitter for iOS and Android can start a Space.
- Teach People How to do Something.
- Get Feedback From Your Audience.
- Hold a Q&A Session.
- Talk About the Hot Topics in Your Industry.
- Have an Exclusive Interview With Experts.
- Offer a Live Critique
Get started today!